Every time I eat a casserole, I feel like I’m doing something really wrong. So, I love it when I find plan approved casseroles that feel splurgy, but are totally healthy! I swear, most time you could throw anything in there, and top it with cheese (portion approved) and it’s just freaking delicious. Also, I like to front load my carbs, so I eat them earlier in the day because it makes me feel better and more energetic, so I love it when I can find a carb-less dinner recipe. We were low on groceries last week, and I had tons of cauliflower rice in the freezer, so I found a recipe on Pinterest and changed it up a little to work with what I had. This may be my easiest recipe so far. It took NO time to prep, and we ate it for dinner and then for lunch the next day! We ate this one after our kids went to bed, but I think they would have eaten it and loved it. Maybe next time we’ll share.
Sausage and (Cauli)Rice CasserolePrint This
- 1 bag of cauliflower rice
- 2 1/4 cup of chicken sausage (i buy the kind already cooked)
- 1/4 diced onion
- 1 minced garlic
- 1/3 cup of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1/3 cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Cook cauliflower rice, for me that mean put the steam bag in the microwave
- Cook the onions (use your biggest pan, you’ll thank me later)
- I cut up the chicken sausage into quarters and brown, just add it in the same pan as the onions, because why have to clean another pan?
- Add garlic and greens, and get the spinach nice and witty
- Add cauliflower rice and ricotta cheese to pan and mix
- Put in the casserole dish and top with the parmesan.
- 425 degrees for 15 minutes
As noted above, use a big pan because at the end you're going to put everything in it and you don't want it to overflow and then give yourself another cleaning project.